Asian inspired, this Sticky Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry is a healthy, hearty meal for the whole family.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves or 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce (or add half water to regular soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 400g chicken strips
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 250g carrots, cut into sticks or thin slices
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 125g sugar snap peas, halved
- ¼ red cabbage, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 can mung bean sprouts, drained.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a frying pan (no oil required), stirring constantly, until slightly browned and fragrant. These burn very easily, so watch them closely. If they go dark brown and smell burned, they are. In which case, discard them and try again for less time.
- Heat the sesame oil (over medium heat) in a small/medium saucepan and fry the garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add soy sauce, brown sugar and rice vinegar and stir to combine. Bring to the boil.
- In a jug, mix the cornflour and 4 tablespoons cold water, stirring with a fork.
- Over a low heat, whisking constantly, add the mixture to the sauce. Let the sauce come to the boil again. It will thicken quickly, and can burn easily, so make sure to scrape the bottom as you stir.
- Take the sauce off the heat and whisk in half the toasted sesame seeds. Set the sauce aside for later. Keep the rest of the sesame seeds for garnish.
Stir Fry Instructions:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a wok, over high heat. Add chicken strips, soy sauce and salt to the oil and fry the chicken until brown. Set the chicken aside and clean wok.
- In the same wok, add another 2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry the red onions until soft. Set aside.
- Add the last 2 tablespoons of oil and stir fry all the vegetables, except the mung bean sprouts, until warmed, but still crunchy. These vegetables are not supposed to be cooked until soft!
- Add the mung bean sprouts, chicken fillet strips and the sauce and stir until the vegetables and chicken are coated in the sauce and warmed through.
- Garnish with the other half of the toasted sesame seeds and serve with jasmine rice or noodles.